"mEMOries" Part 1 feat. Mosey Jones

8 years ago, back on the old site, we did start a series called mEMOries. It was all about asking new Emo-bands or other scene affiliates about their all time favourite (Midwest-)Emo-record. It was about nostalgia. And it was about connecting the new with the old. I had big plans for this series, wanted to collect 20 parts and then release some sort of a sampler with an XL-booklet attached, that features all of the text pieces...

...after 7 parts the series was buried, when the end of borderline fuckup 1.0 was on the horizon. I'm still in love with the idea and tried my best to start a relaunch in 2021, but it mainly was a chore. However, I already have some new material waiting to be released. To start it off correctly I'll recycle the parts from the old site and I think Valentine's Day is the perfect starting point for melancholic bullshit like that. So, here's part 1 featuring MOSEY JONES!

~

// The band // Mosey Jones 

MOSEY JONES hail from Brooklyn, New York and formed in 2011. They released two albums, three EPs and a couple of other stuff. Things slowed down for them in the last few years, but just yesterday they announced a new album for 2022.

~

// The record // Snowing - Fuck your Emotional Bullshit

Release: 2009 // Label: Square of Opposition

~

Eamon on "Fuck your Emotonal Bullshit" by Snowing

One day, during a particularly boring summer, my mom took me out to go back-to-school shopping, and at the end of it, I decided I needed to go into the music store „(R.I.P.)“ and buy CDs. I’d never done it before and I didn’t have any bands in mind so I don’t know why this was my decision. I scrolled through the bins looking for something that looked familiar. I wound up with My Chemical Romance („Wow, they put out a new album already?“) and Motion City Soundtrack („I think I heard that they had a song that was good.“) I guess I just looked in the M section.

After this, I had a pretty good idea of what my taste in music was and spent many years searching for more, and coming up with nothing. Pop punk was going in directions I didn’t like, Emo, as I knew it, became a fashion show of how many cuts people had, and everything else just wasn’t hitting the spot. Fast-forward way too many years to 2009, when a very close friend of mine showed me the band Snowing. I listened for about ten seconds and said „Wow this singer fucking sucks!“

Fast-forward again to late 2010, where life was dealing with me cruelly and I was just kind of taking it. On one of my many bored days, I decided to go through all the music on my computer and try to delete some stuff that was just taking up space. I came across Snowing again and thought „Oh man THIS band“. I decided I’d take a listen again just in case. I was floored. I suddenly realized it was practically everything I’d been looking for. Intricate, fast, and raw distorted guitar riffs and drum lines, with a melodic sensibility that was pleasant to listen to. The singer still sucked but it was less important to me, and the words he was saying still hit me like a boulder. I spent the next year listening to „Fuck your Emotional Bullshit“ on repeat, while finding out about other bands in the genre.

It’s weird, I think I’ve always had an internal knowledge of what kind of music I liked and wanted to create, but I just could not find it until I suddenly could accept John Galm’s throaty strangeness and appreciate everything that was going on behind it. Suddenly I was able to find so much more music to listen to, and go back in time and find many bands that I’d missed out on just from not being exposed to them. I guess I’m a poser.

~

Original post with additional texts from Caitlin & Peter

Comments

Popular Posts