Review: Schedule 1 - s/t (EP)

Label: Dirt Cult Records
SCHEDULE 1 formed at the most unfavourable time possibly: Right before Covid took control of our lives. Their label Dirt Cult Records compares them to the WIPERS, NEW ORDER, and some other, more modern Post-Punk-bands I don't really know. WIPERS is fair, this also reminds of a bunch of my favourite 80s-Post-Punk-acts like THE SOUND or THE COMSAT ANGLES. And that's quite a refreshing reference to get in 2022...

The band out of Vancouver, Canada found their own sound though, as this is fast-paced throughout and (despite being playful) pretty straight forward in terms of songwriting. At heart these 6 songs represent emotional, sweaty Punkrock, with the stylish Make-Up of Post-Punk/New-Wave thrown at it. It's an interesting take on Punkrock and worth a listen for everyone who normally isn't that much into NEW ORDER and similar bands. They stray away from any form of Electronica, yet this still feels kind of space-y, due to the guitar and the swirling bass. The melodies go a long way in most of these songs, sometimes more upfront, sometimes more subtle, but always present and beautifully layered. At times, the singer has to fight like a lion to not get buried in the mix, but personally I like this decision and I'm more than sure that it was intended. 

I already hinted it, but what I like most about SCHEDULE 1's debut record is the fact, that it feels fresh. At a point in my life where I know way too many bands, and way too many records, that's the most effective way to get me hooked. Looking forward to further releases!

Schedule 1 on Bandcamp
Schedule 1 on Facebook
Schedule 1 on Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts