RealoEmo #1.

Sinking/Arms like Roses - "Split"
Label: RealoEmo

This is a special release, as it's the first of hopefully many releases on RealoEmo...Records. The Emo platform, that started with an Instagram site a few years ago, built a strong community in the past and is now a real label! Dave and his supporters were doing much for the scene, and the whole "Real Emo" and Emo-revival-sound. They grew a nice brand with "RealoEmo", so this step makes a lot of sense.

Their first release is a Split between the two Emo (yes indeed!) bands SINKING and ARMS LIKE ROSES. Both bands have three original songs and one cover song on this Split, that is available digitally and on CD. 40 of them were made, so hurry up! 

SINKING from Massachussets are that kind of "grower band" to me. I became to know them with their debut album "Only Echoes" from 2020. And while I liked this record, I gotta say, that they're getting better and better with each new release. "Misshapen World", the EP from 2022, was a joy to listen to and they flourish again with these three new tracks. The already known "Thistle Blossom" is a beautiful and catchy banger, and definitely my favorite track of theirs, but "Doze" and "Horace" are not too far behind either. They chose a song from THE APPLESEED CAST's "Two Conversations" as their cover. Maybe I should check out that record, after years of ignoring everything that this band put out prior to "Mare Vitalis"?! Musically SINKING stay true to themselves. They cling to some Emo classics of the late 90s, though I always associated them just as much with older Emo bands like SPLIT LIP or FALLING FORWARD, due to their edgy sound and the faster tempos.

ARMS LIKE ROSES from Connecticut is a band I knew before, but not as good as SINKING. They released an EP in 2021 and a LP in 2022. After getting into their site of the Split, I came to the conclusion, that I better should invest some time in their back catalogue. What's striking first is the well versed and charismatic voice of their lead singer Estelle Angel, but soon you'll realize, that there's way more to their music. You probably could throw them in the pigeonhole of "Midwest Emo", but essentially they romp in a lot of other territories. From crystal clear, catchy Pop to Postcore-screaming-drama to Post-Rock-epicness, there's a lot to discover in these lengthy songs. Dang, the near MEWITHOUTYOU-esque "New Moon" is my favorite on here and just mindblowing, though their whole site is flawless and really creative. Ah yeah, they covered a track by CAP'N JAZZ, but I gotta say ARMS LIKE ROSES' own tracks tear apart everything CAP'N JAZZ has ever done. Yes I said it. Call the Emo police!

I may be biased, as I love RealoEmo, but fuck, this is the kind of Split I truly appreciate. While SINKING -a band I knew before- gave me what I wanted with some of their best songs yet, ARMS LIKE ROSES -a band that was rather unknown to me before- surprised me for good. Check this out, you real Emos!

Stream the Split
ARMS LIKE ROSES on Bandcamp
SINKING on Bandcamp
ARMS LIKE ROSES on Instagram
SINKING on Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts