Review: Fit for Failure - fraught (EP)

Label: DIY
I like cacti. And I guess they like me. At least they are the only plants that didn't choose to die in my obnoxious presence. Maybe my taste in music is fully responsible for all those unnecessary passings. If my ficus benjamina (god bless him) would still be around, I'm sure he would've liked the debut of FIT FOR FAILURE. But before it's getting all too melancholic, let's talk about the music. The hell knows why cacti came to my mind...

This four piece is spread all over West Germany and was formed during the first Lockdown in 2020. They made good use of the more relaxed rules in the summer to write these 5 songs plus intro in real life (yeah, this still happended in 2020!) and finally recorded them this year. If you hear "fraught" for the first time, you promplty get the impression that these guys have some experience. Experience in life and music. This is no youthful jokin'n'jerkin around but neither is it all too calculated. They strike a good balance between the heartfelt and the more artsy stuff. 

I'll stay in FFF's homeland when I'll do my namedropping and tell you that this settles somewhere in between German greats like MONOCHROME, SLUT and TRIP FONTAINE. Stylistically this is a mixture of Indie-Rock, Post-Rock, Emo and some Post-Punk/HC-aesthetics. It never seems forced though, even when FFF incorporate some (subtle) screaming in their tunes. The songs feel naturally crafted, the band sounds authentic all along, and the tracklist is without a dud.

"fraught" is a really solid debut that could and should find listeners in different music scenes all over the world. Here's to hoping that my cacti will grow at a fast pace while listening to FFF.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10

Fit for Failure on Bandcamp
Fit for Failure on Facebook
Fit for Failure on Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts