"mEMOries" Part 4 feat. Edie Quinn (Middle-Man Records, Coma Regalia)

8 years ago, back on the old site, we did start a series called mEMOries. It was all about asking new Emo-bands or other scene affiliates about their all time favourite (Midwest-)Emo-record. It was about nostalgia. And it was about connecting the new with the old. I had big plans for this series, wanted to collect 20 parts and then release some sort of a sampler with an XL-booklet attached, that features all of the text pieces...


...after 7 parts the series was buried, when the end of borderline fuckup 1.0 was on the horizon. I'm still in love with the idea and tried my best to start a relaunch in 2021, but it mainly was a chore. However, I already have some new material waiting to be released. To start it off correctly I'll recycle the parts from the old site. Now, here's part 4 for your reading pleasure!

~

// The authors // Edie Quinn


Edie Quinn's Middle-Man Records is one of the most important Screamo labels of today. 12 years ago their own band COMA REGALIA started an excellent string of records being released on Middle-Man... but, Edie have a heart for Midwest-Emo too, as this blurb from 2014 proves.

~

// The record // The Promise Ring - 30° everywhere

Release: 1996 // Label: Jade Tree

~

Edie on "30° everywhere" by The Promise Ring

The first time I heard The Promise Ring was on a mixtape that an ex girlfriend made me. I didn’t really like a lot of what people were calling „emo“ at the time but I liked them pretty much instantly. The song was „Watertown Plank“ from what would later be „The Horse Lattitudes“ collection. I fell asleep to that collection probably every night for a couple months after that break up.

A couple relationships and several hundred miles away I was hanging out with a friend the day he got „30 Degrees Everywhere“ on vinyl. Not to date myself too much but this was shortly after it’s release. Anyway we were hanging out and I don’t know how but he already had a bunch of the songs memorized. It wasn’t too long until I did too. We stayed up late that night listening to that record and singing and carrying on. I actually can’t remember changing the record at all that night.

I went to the record shop where he got it a couple days later and they’d sold the couple of vinyl copies they had so I bought it on CD. I loved the interlocking guitars. The moving bass lines. The out of tune singing. The drums with all of the flam hits. Everything about it was magical at the time. I listened to it so much at my place that it was driving my room mates a little nuts. I was playing in a band called „Rod“ at the time (now called The Story Changes) and we went out of town for some shows. We listened to the CD on the way and one of the guys was into it and the other two weren’t. That really confused me for some reason.

All these years later I still have that CD. I had to replace the jewel case after it melted in an apartment fire. The CD itself is pretty worn out and actually stained black from the smoke of that fire but it still plays (mostly). Somehow through all of that and some wet basements here and there the lyric sheet is still pretty intact.

~

"mEMOries" Part 1 feat. Mosey Jones
"mEMOries" Part 2 feat. Daniel Becker (Time as a Color Records, Amid the Old Wounds)
"mEMOries" Part 3 feat. Former States

Comments

Popular Posts