Review: Neal Sharma & The Sagebrush - Shiver in the Sun

Label: Vitriol Records

Who the fuck is NEAL SHARMA? Well, I was asking myself the same, when I got the mail from Vitriol Records. At first, I couldn't garner any information about this project that's already running a few years and is now four albums deep. But it was already too late to turn back, cause these tracks got me hooked on the first spin. 

Still, I was wondering why Vitriol Records would put out their stuff?! Since discovering DANGER's modern classic "Anger", I always associate this label with said band, and with fucked up HC/Punk. Another band that is on Vitriol Records for a while now is GHOSTLIMB... and that's where the connection between NEAL SHARMA and the label began. NEAL plays the bass in GHOSTLIMB and this is his side-project, where he satisfies his love for Indie-Rock. 

And... oh boy... what should I say? It probably means a lot, when I feel a record of this genre as much as I do feel "Shiver in the Sun". I already wrote the word "feel" two times, but I'll probably type it a few more times in the next couple'o minutes. To me, this record is all about the feeling. It's deeply touching without getting all too cheesy. There's no striking depression that's being celebrated. It's slightly sad and melancholic, but the good kind of sad and melancholic, the heart-warming one, you know? NEAL SHARMA is an exceptional talent, as a singer as well as a songwriter. And I probably shouldn't forget about his guitar playing and the one of his buddy Jon Drinnan, another important part of "Shiver in the Sun". It's the cool riffs and melodies that drag you in those songs. They keep coming and won't let go. The songs revolve around those touching'n catchy melodies, they perfectly float into each other and somehow suck you in for all of those 47 minutes...

It's pretty basic stuff though. The songwriting isn't flashy or anything, the songs don't differ much from another. The beauty of the songs is to be found in the stripped-down simplicity! In essence, there's two types of songs. The Indie-Rock-songs, which are faster and more driving. And the mellow ones with acoustic guitars, a slower build-up and more sensitivity to them. "Shiver in the Sun" is half/half in that regard and that's something I really dig, especially cause I can't decide for myself which site of the band I do like better. The first half of the record is more up-beat, while the second one is more quiet. It's a cool developement that finds its ultimate climax in the closer, the title track, where there's only NEAL and his acoustic guitar left to create the most intimate moment of the whole record. Yeah, "I am with you now" with that viola is awesome too!

The lyricism on "Shiver in the Sun" is something I had to get used to. It's not your typical Punk/Emo fare. NEAL is pretty analytical about life and himself, the lyrics are kinda vague but far away from being overly cryptic. It's matured, grown-up yet always soulful stuff everyone between "old and (feeling) young" could relate to. In that sense it fits the music ideally!

So, just check out this beautiful, unpretentious, small but oh so big record yourself. Missing out on it, will mean missing one of the best, most touching Indie-Rock-records of the year. And now, let's talk about the band name... did I ever mention that I hate those band names where the lead singer gets the spotlight while his buddies get pushed to the site?! Well, I might change my opinion now...

Neal Sharma & The Sagebrush on Bandcamp
Neal Sharma on Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts