"mEMOries" Part 5 feat. Human Hands

8 years ago, back on the old site, we did start a series called mEMOries. It was all about asking new Emo-bands or other scene affiliates about their all time favourite (Midwest-)Emo-record. It was about nostalgia. And it was about connecting the new with the old. I had big plans for this series, wanted to collect 20 parts and then release some sort of a sampler with an XL-booklet attached, that features all of the text pieces...


...after 7 parts the series was buried, when the end of borderline fuckup 1.0 was on the horizon. I'm still in love with the idea and tried my best to start a relaunch in 2021, but it mainly was a chore. However, I already have some new material waiting to be released. To start it off correctly I'll recycle the parts from the old site. Now, here's part 5 for your reading pleasure!

~

// The band // Human Hands


Formed in 2009, HUMAN HANDS are one of the most amazing Emo-acts the UK ever brought to life. After 2016 (when they released their second LP as well as a Split) they disbanded due to real life commitments. They left an impressive discography, especially their "selftitled"-LP is a modern classic and should not be missed by anyone into the likes of STILL LIFE and INDIAN SUMMER. HUMAN HANDS' Charles Hewitt shared his experience with "Departures and Landfalls" in 2014 with us.

~

// The record // Boys Life - Departures and Landfalls

Release: 1996 // Label: Headhunter

~

Charles Hewitt on "Departures and Landfalls" by Boys Life

This is one of my favourite records of all time and has been for sometime. In regards to punk, hardcore and emo stuff I came to this album pretty late. My music taste had gone from nu-metal to Black Sabbath to Slayer to Minor Threat to Portraits of Past and it took me a little longer to find this amazing record. I found it in the CD racks of Tempest Records (RIP), spending money from my 17th birthday, and instantly fell in love with how strange it sounded. Weird rock music about freight trains, pylons and fields. Long songs played by loners in sweaty rooms surrounded by endless fields in a shit suburb of some shit city. Perfect music.

8 years on, it’s still up there for me. This album holds a special place in my heart for keeping me company at 4am on many mornings of a summer several years ago, filled with endless night porter shifts in a crap hotel. I would try and read for my dissertation, drinking shit coffee, listening to this on repeat as the morning sun rose, creeping into dead eyelids. Absolute killer record.

Now, it’s a Friday night, drinking beer, with this LP on the turntable, sounds as good as ever.

~

"mEMOries" Part 1 feat. Mosey Jones
"mEMOries" Part 2 feat. Daniel Becker (Time as a Color Records, Amid the Old Wounds)
"mEMOries" Part 3 feat. Former States 
"mEMOries" Part 4 feat. Edie Quinn (Middle-Man Records, Coma Regalia)

Comments

Popular Posts