"mEMOries" Part 10 feat. John Szuch (Deep Elm Records)

8 years ago, back on the old site, we did start a series called mEMOries. It was all about asking new Emo-bands or other scene affiliates about their all time favourite (Midwest-)Emo-record. It was about nostalgia. And it was about connecting the new with the old. I had big plans for this series, wanted to collect 20 parts and then release some sort of a sampler with an XL-booklet attached, that features all of the text pieces...


...after 7 parts the series was buried, when the end of borderline fuckup 1.0 was on the horizon. I'm still in love with the idea and tried my best to start a relaunch in 2021, but it mainly was a chore. However, I got back on track somehow, with a lot of support by some lovely people. Now, here's part 10 for your reading pleasure!

~

// The author // John Szuch


John Szuch is the founder and owner of one of the most important record labels to Midwest-Emo: Deep Elm Records. Formed in 1995, the label is probably best known for their now legendary "Emo Diaries"-compilations, but also worked with beloved Emo-/Punk-bands like THE APPLESEED CAST, PLANES MISTAKEN FOR STARS, CROSS MY HEART, BRANDTSON and LATTERMAN. In Part 10 of "mEMOries", John tells us a story about a band, that was his main inspiration to get into Emo and the record label industry...

~

// The record // Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

Release: 1994 // Label: Sub Pop

~

John Szuch on "Diary" by Sunny Day Real Estate

My favorite Emo records were released on Deep Elm, but the most impactful and influential Emo record was “Diary” by Sunny Day Real Estate. If it were not for this album, it’s quite possible that Deep Elm Records would not exist.  

Back in 1994, I happened to be in the audience of the John Stewart Show for the maiden TV appearance of Emo gods Sunny Day Real Estate. I had no idea who they were nor what genre of music they played. They performed “In Circles” and they absolutely blew my mind. Life comes down to a few short moments, and that was one of them. After the show, I happened to pass by Tower Records (RIP) in the East Village and picked up “Diary.” I could not stop listening. I knew right then and there I wanted to be part of music that moved people like that album moved me. I'm not a songwriter or musician, so a label was the best way for me to get involved. 

I saw the label being about people coming together, meeting, singing and sharing that experience with each other - those are the times that we remember forever. It's about the power of music - that's really what music is all about. Music inspires. And when I think about our purpose as people, I think inspiration is the most important thing we can give to one another. There's not enough of that.

Comments

Popular Posts