"mEMOries" Part 12 feat. Comic Sans

8 years ago, back on the old site, we did start a series called mEMOries. It was all about asking new Emo-bands or other scene affiliates about their all time favourite (Midwest-)Emo-record. It was about nostalgia. And it was about connecting the new with the old. I had big plans for this series, wanted to collect 20 parts and then release some sort of a sampler with an XL-booklet attached, that features all of the text pieces...


...after 7 parts the series was buried, when the end of borderline fuckup 1.0 was on the horizon. I'm still in love with the idea and tried my best to start a relaunch in 2021, but it mainly was a chore. However, I got back on track somehow, with a lot of support by some lovely people. Now, here's part 12 for your reading pleasure!

~

// The band // Comic Sans


COMIC SANS is a Midwest-Emo band from the Basque region in Spain and calls themselves “sad people playing sad music”. The four pice started back in 2017 and released their first LP “Jon Lee” in 2021. They are composing their second LP which is expected to be recorded in 2022. Their singer/guitarist Alvaro tells us a story about a Snowboard trip that changed his scope on music...

~

// The record // Algernon Cadwallader - Some Kind of Cadwallader

Release: 2008 // Label: Be Happy Records, etc.

~

Alvaro Manzano on "Some Kind of Cadwallader" by Algernon Cadwallader

It was winter and I was on my way with my older brother to the Luz Ardiden ski resort. He had been teaching me groups from the Emo and Hardcore scene in Spain such as Standstill, Curasan, etc. for some time. Before we started our journey he warned me that he'd put a new disc in the car's radio player. It was a new band and the disc was sent to him. If I remember correctly, it was in 2011...

Then began the climb to the ski station where we were going to snowboard. As I started the car, guitars began to sound and they went straight into my veins and drove me crazy right away. The guitars where the ones from the song "Casual Discussion in a Dome between Two Temples" by Algernon Cadwallader. An album that today makes me feel nostalgic while listening, but also an album that represents everything that Emo or Midwest-Emo means to me.

Comments

Popular Posts