"mEMOries" Part 17 feat. Klaus Axmann (Goddamn Records)

8 years ago, back on the old site, we did start a series called mEMOries. It was all about asking new Emo-bands or other scene affiliates about their all time favourite (Midwest-)Emo-record. It was about nostalgia. And it was about connecting the new with the old. I had big plans for this series, wanted to collect 20 parts and then release some sort of a sampler with an XL-booklet attached, that features all of the text pieces...


...after 7 parts the series was buried, when the end of borderline fuckup 1.0 was on the horizon. I'm still in love with the idea and tried my best to start a relaunch in 2021, but it mainly was a chore. However, I got back on track somehow, with a lot of support by some lovely people. Now, here's part 17 for your reading pleasure!

~

// The author // Klaus Axmann


Klaus Axmann is from Austria's capital city Vienna and founded his label Goddamn Records in 2008. Since then he mainly focused on promoting Indie/Emo-bands out of Austria like RIKA, EVERTON or NEW NATIVE, but he also gave a special record its worthy vinyl-release. The record he chose for "mEMOries" Part 17...

~

// The record // Leiah - Sound and Diversity

Release: 2002 // Label: Background Beat, Goddamn Records (LP)

~

Klaus on "Sound and Diversity" by Leiah

In 2002 I read a review about Leiah’s „Sound and Diversity“ in a German music magazine I had subscribed at that time.

The review was not overwhelming at all; „Sound and Diversity“ compared to Last Days of April’s „Angel Youth“ was supposedly rather dull according to their critique.

I had known Leiah’s previous records „Mood Shifting Tones“, „The Tigra Songs“ and „Surrounded by Seasons“ before reading this review and really enjoyed their sound. Especially David Lehnberg’s vocals and the bands‘ politically leftist attitude distinguished Leiah from all other bands of that genre (plus I always had a soft spot for Swedish music.)

Despite the rather poor review, I bought the „Sound and Diversity“ CD in my favourite record store (R.I.P. Yummy). After listening to the opener „Tiglio“ I was blown away immediatley. It struck me right away and to me this was one of the bands‘ best song so far.

The following songs were bangers as well, matching the unique sound of the opening track. I had the feeling of finally holding the perfect Emo-record in my hands and was filled with bliss. Though I also understood where the reviewer’s criticism was coming from (at least a little bit): While „Angel Youth“ is totally different from Last Days of April’s prevous „Rainmaker“, which reminded me of the progress Jimmy Eat World had made from „Static Prevails“ to „Clarity“, Leiah had „just“ perfected their sound.

I don‘t know how much Fireside’s Pelle Gunnerfeldt, who had produced the album, was responsible for this journey of Leiah’s sound perfection noticable in „Sound & Diversity“ (I’ve read about his weird methods in the linernotes of the Re-issue of Refused’s „Songs to fan the Flames of Discontent“ recently, which had also been produced by him and I have heard about similar stuff he had done during the recording of „Sound and Diversity“) but it definitely withstands the test of time and has been a constant companion in my life since 2002.

The well-known „Is this Thing On“-Blog even rates „Tiglio“ as a Top 100 Emo-songs of all time. As this record stuck with me as one of my favourite Emo-albums, unsurprisingly it was a very special moment for me to release the „Sound & Diversity“ album for the first time on vinyl a couple of years ago.

p.s.: Have a listen to Lehnberg’s other bands too (for example Ikaros or Ariel Kill Him. „Not Today, Not Tomorrow“ is one of the best songs ever written)

Comments

Popular Posts