"mEMOries" Part 14 feat. Mentah

8 years ago, back on the old site, we did start a series called mEMOries. It was all about asking new Emo-bands or other scene affiliates about their all time favourite (Midwest-)Emo-record. It was about nostalgia. And it was about connecting the new with the old. I had big plans for this series, wanted to collect 20 parts and then release some sort of a sampler with an XL-booklet attached, that features all of the text pieces...


...after 7 parts the series was buried, when the end of borderline fuckup 1.0 was on the horizon. I'm still in love with the idea and tried my best to start a relaunch in 2021, but it mainly was a chore. However, I got back on track somehow, with a lot of support by some lovely people. Now, here's part 14 for your reading pleasure!

~

// The band // Mentah


Formed in 2018, the two childhood friends out of Spain often refer to themselves as the "power duo". MENTAH recently released "Everyone hates", an album you should check it out if you're into Indie-tinged Emo-music. Their guitarist and singer Kar wrote about his mEMOry of a true but often forgotten classic...

~

// The record // The Van Pelt - Stealing from our Favorite Thieves

Release: 1996 // Label: Gern Blandsten

~

Kar on "Stealing from our Favorite Thieves" by The Van Pelt

I don't know if everyone will consider this album to be Emo or Indie-Rock. We have felt very emotional from the first listening. When i discovered The Van Pelt , the first thing i felt was an instant infatuation with chris leo's voice, his way of putting sentences together with intense melodies and a clear and pretty message. His steppe is my prarie is one of the best beginnings for an album that can come to mind, from the first second it moves you inside, the lyrics, those guitars that don't rest throughout the song...

But I have to say that my favorite song of the group is “Speeding train” by the record Imaginary third, I think it's the song that I've heard the most times in my life with “This day next year” by Karate. It doesn't matter if I've heard "speeding train" millions of times, I still feel the same with each listen, as the song grows, those beautiful guitars and chris leo repeating the same thing over and over again, the message is clear and it is very difficult not to get emotional with this song. It is very difficult for me to choose an album, I choose Stealing from our favorite Thieves because it was with that album that I met The Van Pelt and it means a lot to me. Still acknowledging that Sultans of Sentiment is a true work of art.

Comments

Popular Posts